Could not be more proud of this man.
You might give me grief about writing a new years resolution post ON FEBRUARY 10TH, but you know what? That's cool. It's cool of you to try and keep me in check. Truthfully it took me this long to come up with some (in my opinion) good resolutions. OFF WE GO.
- Read at least one book per season.
- Go to the gym or do pilates at least ten times a month.
- Juice at least five times a month.
- Get at least three haircuts this year.
- At least once a month, go to a fancy restaurant that you've never been to before.
- Make one Chrissy Teigen recipe (from Cravings) each month.
- Take Baby Dog on at least one dog date each month.
- Try at least one new hairstyle every month. (God, these are low/sad expectations, BUT THEY MINE.)
- Properly go on a date Nathan at least once a month.
- Finally go to Staten Island for pizza. See what the big deal is.
This New Yorker cover makes me feel so many things, it couldn't be more powerful.
My best friend and I went to Montauk in the winter because we loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It snowed while we were there, so this montage had to be made.
Honestly, waking up that morning to that amount of snow on the beach will rank among my top two favourite moments of life so far, I’ll never be able to describe how it felt.
I've purposely delayed writing this post, but since 2017 is officially well underway, there are no more excuses. I'll list my 2016 resolutions from last year below and then write alongside them how each went.
1. Read at least two books per season.
- Yeah, this didn't happen. Instead of reading eight books this year (two books x four seasons), I read a sum total of TWO books. Yikes. When I think back on why this happened, I really can't come up with any sound reasoning. This will be rectified this year.
2. Do pilates (or go to the gym) at least five times each month.
- January - 6 times
- February - 6 times
- March - 8 times
- April - 8 times
- May - 4 times
- June - 5 times
- July - 1 time
- August - 8 times
- September - 6 times
- October - 1 time
- November - 6 times
- December - 3 times
Okay, so I crushed this goal two thirds of the year. Yeah! And that means that I went to the gym 14.5% of the days this year (53 out of 365). Okay, that's not great since in 2015 I went 23.5% and in 2014 I went 37%, but still - it's not 0%. Not that there's anything wrong with 0%, but I would really like to get back up into my 2014 gym game.
3. Save 20% of every pay cheque from waitressing.
- Totally done. I would tell you how much money that is, but it's gauche to talk about money.
4. Juice at least ten times a month.
- January - 11 times
- February - 4 times
- March - 9 times
- April - 2 times
- May - 5 times
- June - 12 times
- July - 4 times
- August - 5 times
- September - 9 times
- October - 1 time
- November - 7 times
- December - 10 times
I really said ten times a MONTH? Jesus. 2017 is definitely going to be about low expectations, Liz. LOW.
5. Go to an island with Nathan.
- If Boston counts as an island, then did we ever!
6. Constantly buy flowers for the apartment and take photos of each arrangement.
- This definitely happened and it was glorious.
7. At least once a month, go to a fancy-ass restaurant that you've never been to before.
- January - Minetta Tavern & Bar Boulud
- February - Stanton Social
- March - Delmonico's & Peter Luger
- April - Collage (in St. Augustine)
- May - Beauty & Essex
- June - nowhere!
- July - Del Posto
- August - The Lamb's Club & American Cut
- September - nowhere!
- October - Gramercy Tavern
- November - nowhere!
- December - Barberian's (in Toronto)
I love this resolution so hard. It's hard to pick a favourite of the year, but if I absolutely had to it would be Delmonico's. It'll definitely my to-go best steak place in the city now.
8. Get at least three haircuts this year.
- Damnit! Only got two, one in January and one in September.
9. Wear all of the lipsticks. (I own twenty tubes of lipstick and I reserve them for... what?! I don't know. They gots to get WORN.)
- I really did try to make an effort with this one.
10. Sing in public again.
- Completely forgot about this one. Maybe on purpose.
All in all, 2016 was a pretty great year for me. I started the new year in Connecticut with Nathan, I began waitressing at a small French restaurant nearby, I went to the Westminster dog show, finally went to the planetarium, went to Florida three separate times (jesus, I just realized that), visited City Island in the Bronx, rode bikes around Governor's Island, cooked a lot of new things, went to the beach a ton, went to a lot of baseball games (one at Fenway Park), my mom came to visit me in New York, three of my close friends had babies, one got engaged and one got married, my brother came from Scotland for Thanksgiving, went on Central Park walks with Baby Dog - it was a pretty sweet year. 2017 resolutions coming soon!
Thanks for reading!