The following things must be done on New Year's Day to ensure a prosperous year ahead:
- Wear red. This brings luck.
- Nothing should leave your house - so don't take out the garbage today - because if things leave, then that means things will be leaving you all year.
- Don't do your laundry or wash your dishes or wash your hair because you'll wash away luck. And don't you dare sweep at all.
- Don't use scissors today or they will cut off your good fortune.
- Good Foods To Eat:
- Incorporate some black eyed peas into one or all of your meals today. When eaten today, they bring enormous good luck.
- Lentil soup because lentils resemble coins.
- Pork because poultry scratches backwards, a cow stands still, but a pig roots forward, ergo those who dine upon pork will be moving forward in the new year.
- Chicken should not be eaten on the first day of the year or you will have financial difficulties for the rest of the year.
- Any greens such as collard greens, peas, chard, cabbage, kale, spinach, broccoli, etc. (because the greens resemble money).
- Eating cornbread is supposed to bring wealth.
- Some good recipes can be found here.
- Wearing new clothes today (especially socks and underwear) is extremely lucky.
- Do not lend any money to anyone today or you'll be giving away all your money throughout the year. And try not to spend any money as well.
- Avoid breaking anything today or crying. Again, what you do today sets the tone for your coming year.
- Keep this in mind: Anything shaped like a ring is believed to be good luck because it symbolizes “coming full circle,” completing a year’s cycle.
- Sleep in a bed with clean, new sheets.
So basically - whatever you do today will set the tone for your year. So sleeping in all day is obviously not the best idea since you'll have a lazy year ahead. Some ideas of things to do today for a good year?
- Phone friends of family
- Be friendly and polite, more than usual
- Exercising, even in some small way
- Do a small amount of work, but don't go overboard
- Compliment someone
Am I ridiculous for suggesting these things to you? That's your call. I'm a firm believer in this kind of stuff and I'm also fortunate enough to feel a great deal of happiness in my life so I'll continue on with adhering to things like this.
Happy New Year!