If you're under the impression that I recommend a lot of things to you, you'd be correct. If, however, you think that I recommend everything I read/watch/see to you, THAT'S where you'd be incorrect. For the record, I see lots of average, semi-okay things in my daily life that I choose not to share with you because, well, it isn't up to par. Just wanted to put that out there. You're never being duped by me, group.
Onto more important things... this book! The book's great! I've been looking forward to reading it for awhile now and finally did. Here are my highlights:
- "I shook my head. "Girl, the rapist would go haywire with all that diarrhea and totally just kill you." I was totally saying "girl" like I was Tyra Banks when she's talking black to make it obvious she's having fun. (Tyra only talks white when she wants you to know she's serious.)"
- I don't know if I was just deliriously tired when I read the chapter "The Backup Plan" where she's describing working in a palliative care center, but the last two pages of that chapter made me sob, it was so sad and well written.
- "I'm never catty. Cattiness is a girl-on-girl crime, I'm not biased; I have as much contempt for men as I do for women."
- "The first time I thought about how beautiful Osama Bin Laden's eyes were was in the middle of the night, and the next morning I woke up with the worst UTI of my life."
- In the chapter when she meets David Copperfield, I learned that he has heat sensors on his audience because he checks to see which illusions they respond to - which is the coolest in the world, I thought.
- "I look like a need a dollar sign in my name."
There really are lots of other great parts and stories, so you should definitely give it a read. I first heard about her like everybody else did - on Twitter. She also has a great blog. Excited to see what she does next.
You can buy the book here or get it at your local library if you're cheap. (Cheap people are people, too.)
(Also, it took a great deal of restraint to not go on excessively about how gorgeous this woman is and that fact combined with the fact that she seems like a really sincere and fun person? Ugh. Very envious and glad that she's getting so much success.)