REALLY liked it. I'd never heard of Samantha Irby or her blog before reading this book, so this is a completely unbiased post. Here are the notes I made during reading it.
- "You have to order anal sex two days in advance, like peking duck."
- The whole chapter on her mom is insanely interesting and if you're going to read one essay out of the whole book, make it this one.
- Love The One You're With is kind of a really sad song.
- I should re-watch The Wizard of Oz. I wonder if it's still a good movie.
- "What gets me hot is all of the other shit. Dreaming about someone whose allergies I need to remember when I'm at the grocery store: that's where the real romance is. Because I've had sex before. What a fucking snooze, my dude. Sex is so dumb and boring and unless you're in really incredible shape or you have a ridiculous imagination and are into some really freaky shit, what you do and what I do is limited to a handful of very similar things. Even your grandmother has been choked and spit on and handcuffed. Why don't we instead dream up some motherfuckers who will set up the automatic renewal on our magazine subscriptions?"
- "I don't want to fuck a dude who has a "hairstyle.""
- Gotta remember to read some Chelsea Handler to see if I like her.
- "I need to pick one when I go out: EATING THINGS or DRINKING THINGS because doing both makes me poor."
- The recipes she includes at the end of the book? Not only is that adorable as hell, but also the coolest and smartest way to end a book EVER.
Special thank you to Adele for the recommendation and the loan!