Apparently some people can get sick of Christmas movies (What kind of people, you ask? I don't know... jerks without souls? Criminals with no sense of joy? Mutants who hate hugs?) around this time of year. I understand that to an extent (I guess). So what should they watch instead? Winter movies, of course! Here are some favourites.
- Batman Returns
- Everything about this movie is great. It's become a little corny over time, but it's absolutely still a great movie. I promise you. It's not an overly wintery movie, but it does take place at Christmastime (with no real mention of Christmas itself) and the final scene is snowy as hell.
- Nope, I will not shut up about this movie. It's too fun. Honestly, this is the movie that inspired this list in the first place. After I first saw it, I thought about it more and realized that one of my favourite things about the movie was the snow. It made you feel like you were in it. Literally a perfect winter movie.
- The Shining
- Umm, do you remember the final scenes of this movie? So much snow! And fear. Snow and fear are kind of a neat combination, I think. All that silence? I don't know, man, I'm into it.
- Snow Day
- Maybe this movie is too wholesome to be on this list. MAYBE. But I'm still very much a fan of it. I remember seeing it when it came out, so perhaps that's why I remember it fondly. However, it holds up over time.
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- I cannot and will not tell you the amount of times I've thought of the bed-on-the-snowy-beach scene. Won't do it. SO ROMANTIC. Sometimes I'll see a certain kind of snow falling and this movie will immediately come to mind.
- A Simple Plan
- You probably haven't seen this movie and it's really good. Bill Paxton is probably the sexiest, underrated actor of our generation.
- Super snowy movie, this one. And pretty depressing, really. But, like, in a good way. In a very nineties way.
- Grumpy Old Men
- I love these men and I love this movie. Personally, I prefer this one to Grumpier Old Men but to each his own.
- Edward Scissorhands
- I'm putting this one on the list mainly for this scene right here. Good God, I love that scene.
Didn't think I could come up with nine, did you? Ha!